Saturday, May 1, 2010

Always Read the Entire Coupon

I went to the grocery store yesterday and found a coupon for $10 off a huge box of baby wipes. Since we buy baby wipes anyways and they won't go bad, this is fair game for the project. I excitedly headed for the baby aisle, grabbed the box of wipes and headed to the cashier. The lady in front of me looked very tired and had a newborn baby in a snuggly. I noticed that she had lots of groceries and one of them was the same box of wipes I was buying. I felt a bit bad that I was going to save $10, but she wasn't so I told her about the coupon and offered to run to the front of the store to get it for her while she packed up her stuff. I quickly ran there and back. The cashier tried to ring in the coupon, but since she'd already completed ringing in the groceries, she had to call a manager in to do an override. The manager came, typed in the override code and the cashier input the coupon into the system. Then the manager looked at the coupon and advised me that I was wrong and I had to buy a box of wipes AND diapers for the $10 off. The lady in front of me didn't have any diapers so she ended up having to go to customer service to straighten everything out. Oh man... she was very nice about it, but you could tell that she was annoyed that I had delayed her. I don't blame her since she clearly was sleep deprived and here I am adding 20 minutes to her grocery visit. My intentions were good, but sometimes things don't work out how you think they will. I ended up not buying the wipes because I thought we could probably find a better deal since they were no longer on sale. The worst part is I went 2 km out of my way so I lose 20 cents from the whole ordeal. Lesson Learned - Always read the entire coupon!

Oh well, I made it back at night as some friends dropped by and left some empty beer cans. Since it was the doubling project that brought to my attention you can return them (I thought you could only return glass ones) I can add $0.45 to my stake. Also, I bought mustard today with a 30 cent coupon, 22 cents of which I can use for the project. So $0.45+$0.22-$0.10=$0.57 more for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment