Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Completed Level 13!

I have been waiting all weekend for Monday to come. There were two items I wanted to buy.

1) Deodorant - My wife always buys this specific one. It was $3.49 at my usual grocery store, but it was on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart for $1.99. Interestingly, the normal Shoppers Drug Mart price was $4.69, so you would normally save money not shopping there. Not today as they were having a 2 day sale on it. This saves me exactly $1.50 per deodorant stick. I bought four, figuring we will be able to use that within the year, which came out to $6 in savings.

2) AAA Batteries. We go through these things like they are going out of style. This was a 12 pack for only $8.99. My usual grocery stores do not carry 12 packs, so it was difficult to price this. They had 4 packs for the same price, but I did not think I would ever buy a four pack as I have purchased 12 packs before. I ended up calling around to different stores and found that WallMart had them on for $14.99 as a regular price. I think Wall Mart is where I purchased my last 12 pack, so I think I can use this as a base price. That saves me $6 per pack. I bought two packs since the expiry is for 2016 so that totals another $12 in savings.

I also saved $2.34 in taxes that I would have paid, but did not, which brings me to $20.34.

75% of $20.34 is $15.25. Adding this to my $30.49 puts the project at 45.74, completing the doubling step with an overshoot of $5.74. $2.87 goes to charity and $2.87 goes to something I can buy for myself (add this to the penny from last double and I have $2.88 for myself). Now I finally have some cash to buy something worthwhile. Strategy for step 14 is simple - more grocery fliers and coupons!

Flip

No comments:

Post a Comment