Friday, August 21, 2009

Is this your penny?

I was at the festival again tonight (fine by me since it's a goldmine for change). My family was eating at a table and I noticed there was a penny a few seats over from me (no one was sitting there). Last time I tried doing a double project I couldn't shut up about it and I drove my wife crazy, so I have been trying to be a bit more low key this time. I figured I would pocket the penny after we were done eating without her noticing. Then came the bees. Arrgh! I hate bees. There were five or six tormenting us - landing on our food, landing on my kid - so we decided to find a new seat in a hurry. We moved seats and finished up. We left the tables and I went to the mens room. Then I remembered the penny (the penny that was still in the urinal reminded me). Shoot! I had forgotten to get the penny. I finished up and quickly worked my way back over to the table where we were, hoping not to run into my wife. I made it, but there was a man sitting at the table right in front of the penny. Shoot. Remarkably, there was also a two dollar coin in front of someone else at a near by table. I definitely thought there was no way I could grab the two dollar coin since it was probably theirs. By the same logic, I couldn't take the penny because it was in front of this guy, even though I knew it wasn't his. Grrr! I was so mad at myself - how could I have left my treasure just sitting there? I decided this was one of those moments where I had to decide just how important this project was to me. I got up the nerve, walked up to the man, pointed at the penny and asked, "Is this your penny?" He looked at me like I was from mars and shook his head. I picked it up and said, "I think I accidentally left it here." and walked away. He must have had a good laugh because I sure did. Now I am at $0.99!

No comments:

Post a Comment