Friday, April 23, 2010

Completed Level 12!

I found 4 pennies over the past two days so all I needed was 28 cents to complete Level 12. I went for a walk at work during my lunch hour and managed to find a beer bottle and a wine bottle in the ditch. Luckily there is a Beer Store near my work so I decided to walk straight there and complete the step. As I was walking, I happened to end up walking along side a recycling truck who was going about the same speed as me (on average since they had to keep stopping). He kept looking at me with a weird look and eventually he asked if I wanted to put my bottles in the recycling truck. It was quite hilarious trying to explain to the guy that instead of giving him the bottles, I was going to walk all the way to the beer store for a measly 30 cents. Further along my way I found two more beer cans in some big flower pot. I felt silly carrying the 20c large wine bottle, so I switched it for a 20c beer can. I would have loved to take them all, but I was already afraid someone from work would see me digging in the ditches so the beer can was less conspicuous and I didn't want to get my work clothes dirty by trying to carry too much. When I got to the beer store, the guy told me that the can was only worth 10 cents, not 20! So instead of completing the level, that left me 8 cents short. BUT the two cans in my garage were worth 10 cents less each so I was 28 cents short. DOH! I guess that explains why I thought I was short changed last time I went to the Beer store.

As I walked back to my desk deflated, I tried to think of what I could do to try and still complete my double step today. Then I thought about the bottle of wine in our fridge that should be thrown out. I never knew you could return wine bottles and have ALWAYS just recycled them. If it wasn't for this project, I very likely would have just recycled this bottle, so I figure it is fair game. In fact, all of our wine bottles in the future should also be fair game. So that put me back to 8 cents short. I made up my mind then that I would run over to the flower pot during my last break and get the can. I was too embarrassed to bring it to the Beer Store again, so I just put it in a plastic bag and brought it home.

So I ended up with $20.02, which means I get to spend one penny on myself and donate one penny to charity. Sounds bad, but half of the $20 belongs to charity. I did very well with completing my doubling step in only 22 days (from when I made my declaration) out of the 3 months I gave myself. Can't wait to start thinking of new strategies for Level 13. I will consider the new due date tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment